19 June, 2011

The Final day the girls are in Torino


Having the girls in Torino had been awesome. They gave me someone to cook for and were excited to go out and do things so they were a blast to have in Torino. However, I knew the excitement would come to an end soon and before I knew it, it was their last day in Torino.



The following day was fairly uneventful as far as having the girls in Italy went. I went to class and the girls went to Camogli (which I’ll tell you more about later, I should be headed there this coming weekend). When the girls got back, I made them some Spaghetti and we made our plans for the next day. The Egyptian Museum would be the target for our attack and, with most of the downtown shopping out of the way, should be fairly easy so at the end of the night, we would do a big celebration meal for the girls. Excited with that plan, we all went to bed and slept fairly well.

As with the Chocolate Festival day, I had class while the girls got to sleep in. This time, I was more prepared to sit and wait for a half hour for one of the girls to wake up but this time, when I got back, by some miracle, the girls were awake! I don’t know what possessed them to be up and moving before 1pm but some how, they were!

We proceeded to head down town and made a beeline for the Egyptian Museum. The Egyptian museum was pretty much the same as when I went earlier in the semester but here are pictures from this trip.




















































As we left the third room, we found a small figurine sitting on the ground. it looked old and like something from one of the exhibits. We picked it up and decided it would be best to give it back to the museum (there are curses attached to those suckers! I don’t want that on me!). We gave it back and, as the attendant turned around with it, she dropped it and the small clay figurine shattered…

We made our way back to the apartment and began our preparations for the night of celebration. The girls had gotten their first taste of Moscato the night before and had fallen in love so we went back to Eataly and got another two bottles of it. Prepared for the night, we began to cook!

For the main dish of the meal, we were going to have home made Gnocchi! Here are some of our pictures of the preparations.






For an antipasti, we had Fonduta made from the real good Fontina d’Aosta cheese


For dessert, we made an upside down apple pie called torta di mele caramellata.







We messed up a bit when we made the pie and put too much water so we kept adding ingredients until we got it right and ended up with way too much of the dough. That was alright though because it gave us something great to dip into our fondutta!


With all that food, we ate well, talked a lot and, in general, had a great authentic Italian meal. The next morning the girls were off to Rome and I was back to regular life in Italy. Having the girls in town made for a great break and provided a small touch of home. To make it even sweeter, it was great to get to spend some more time with Molly. I had no idea how hard it would be to be away from her for this long so it was nice to know in only a couple weeks, I was headed for Scotland for Easter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment